One of my favorite things on the face is contouring. It can create different shapes on the face as well as add dimension and depth. We have all seen YouTube tutorials that can seem overwhelming and sometimes too extreme. I love a dramatic contour, but for day to day I want something quick and easy.
The best place to start is to actually feel your face, I know it sounds crazy but hear me out. Feel for your cheekbone, you should feel a bone slanting down below your cheek. That’s the spot you want to apply your contour. The idea of contouring is to make a shadow where there isn’t one or to accentuate a shadow. You are basically using shadows to make the face appear slimmer. A makeup industry secret is using contour on your jaw to make it appear slimmer. Another secret is to use blush as the contour for a more natural look. This is a technique I’ve been using on clients for years.
1. To start, apply your foundation, powder and concealer- I find that having a solid base will make the application process go smoother. After that use your Be Eye Beautiful custom palette. I use Palm Springs Party for fair to medium skin tones and New York Nouveau for medium to deep skin tones.
2. Apply the lighter of the two blushes under your cheekbone, focus most of the product closest to your ear and aim downward stopping in the middle of the eye. Blend this in to your desired intensity.
3. Bring the blush up to the temples, forehead and down below the jaw.
4. After that add a deeper shade, I recommend New York Nouveau, for fair to medium skin tones. For medium to deep skin tones I prefer Miami Magic. Focus the deeper shade on the back of the cheekbone right above the lighter shade and blend together.
5. Top it off with your favorite blush and you are good to go!
Naturally gorgeous contouring is easy with the GladGirl Customizable Palette.
Have you ever tried naturally contouring with blush? Everyone wants to be a Kardashian, why not give it a try?
Monique Mazer Strybel
Monique uses her 14 years of experience as a hair and makeup artist to elevate natural beauty, highlighting glowing complexions and natural hair. She emphasizes the tone and tactile quality of skin, the movement of hair, and a skillful use of color, whether in natural or glamorous looks. Monique shares her love of product, technique, and skill on Instagram with her followers. She currently lives in Los Angeles with her husband and two fur babies. Connect with her on Instagram @makeupbymazer !